Friday, December 19, 2008

Late

What a timely prompt! Christmas Day is fast approaching, and I am late. Late finishing up my Christmas shopping, late getting started on my Christmas baking and candy-making, late getting my annual Christmas Newsletter printed and mailed, and staying up late trying to get everything done! I am also late posting this for Sunday Scribblings!

I could try to blame my job or my mood or the weather, but the truth is this happens to me every year. I always think I have plenty of time, but despite list-making and good intentions, nothing ever works out according to plan, so I spend the week before Christmas a stressed-out Mad Woman. I keep trying to "relax" and remind myself that I can pull this off. It's only the 3 of us for Christmas this year, so there really is no need to run around like a crazed lunatic, except that I do anyway.

My Mom never had these kinds of problems preparing for the holidays. She was so organized--the ultimate Project Manager and List-Maker. She mapped everything out, and she very strictly adhered to her Plan. I fail miserably with my attempts at the same. Of course, about 10 hours of my day are sucked away by the Job, so that certainly puts a damper on my ability to accomplish much. Some years, I make lists, but don't designate deadlines, so the list falls by the wayside. Other years (like this one), I never find the time to even make the list!

But, I forgive myself. I will get done what I get done. I'll make a list and start my Christmas cards earlier next year--I promise!
I don't want to be a crazed lunatic for the holidays. I made biscochitos and Santa Bread this weekend, and I have the day off on Monday and will do some more baking then. Most of my shopping is done--I just need to pick up a few stocking stuffers for my sister and my son. All of the gifts I ordered online arrived and are gift-wrapped. My grocery shopping is done. So, I still have a few days to enjoy and anticipate Christmas! Here are pictures of Santa Bread, before it is baked, so you can see how the dough is shaped.


And after it is baked, so you can see how cute it looks! Mmmm...my house smells like fresh-baked bread! Aren't you jealous?


I like having a few days left to just enjoy the holidays--to watch Christmas movies, read books about Christmas, and drive around town searching out ridiculously extravagant (and, ultimately, tacky) Christmas light displays. The kids and I will have a relaxing, low-key day with a simple menu--prime rib roast, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and yorkshire pudding. Nothing fussy or difficult--all things my kids will actually eat (I wanted to do an updated version of Beef Wellington, that substitutes a chopped mushroom pate for goose liver pate, but my kids looked at me like I was crazy--so, maybe next year!)
I have the day off from work today--the first day off I have had in a loooooooong time, and it was very much needed. (Although, I am still checking in on my emails periodically because I am addicted to work.) Once the kids get up, I'm going to spend the day just doing stuff with them. My son has birthday money to spend, and my daughter wants to make a gingerbread house. I'm trying to savor the few remaining days until Christmas. I always feel sort of "deflated" on Christmas night--a feeling like the holiday ended too soon, before I had a chance to enjoy it. All of the scurrying about beforehand detracts from it somehow. It's like there is all this work to do to get ready, and then, suddenly, Christmas Day is here, and it's over.
So, I'm making a conscious effort this year to make these last few days really COUNT.

2 comments:

Gel said...

Having a full-time job sucks a whole lot of time out of the day. Although you feel late, it sounds like you have most taken care of. You've shopped and baked. Your food sounds utterly delish!
(Here via Sun. Scribblings) Love the title of your blog, btw!

floreta said...

that looks really cute and yummy! hope your christmas was great.