Sunday, November 9, 2008

Adventures in Backpacking

Two weekends ago, I went backpacking with my son's Boy Scout Troop. I am not what most people would consider an "outdoorsy" person. While I do like to go camping and fishing, that's kind of a private side to me and it's just not how people "see" me. I am a woman who wears skirts or dresses every day--even on the weekends. I never leave the house without makeup on. I have owned the same pair of tennis shoes for over 10 years--they haven't worn out yet because I rarely ever wear them. So, people were surprised to learn that I was going on a backpacking trip. I decided to capture the excursion on film to prove that I did it, and when I came home, I put together a Power Point slideshow to share with my family, friends, and co-workers spoofing the weekend. It was a hoot! So, I decided to capture it here as an exercise in posting photos on this blog.




The Pampered Princess Goes Backpacking







This is my pack. It weighed 35 pounds. I am NOT kidding!










Headed for the trail. I knew it was going to be 2 miles, but I didn't know it was going to be all UPHILL!








This is my son. He is only smiling because he finally got to sit down. He is probably cursing my name under his breath for making him go on this trip.






Is it just me, or do these trees look like they could burst into flame at any moment? We were hiking through a TINDERBOX!







Look at the lovely, rustic sign! (Yeah, well, the trail was equally “rustic”…full of fallen trees, debris, exposed tree roots, boulders, rock and mud slides, creeks you had to cross by walking across a single log, preferably without losing your balance and tumbling in!)





The Lake! The Lake! We finally reached the Lake! (Well, actually, it was more of a pond--we don't really have lakes in New Mexico--but I was excited to get there because it meant we were at the half-way point, and I hadn't died yet.)









One mile later, we had reached our destination! A grassy meadow...







...covered with cowpies because we were sharing space with the local wildlife: Domesticated Ungulates, a member of the Subfamily Bovinae. (Seriously--these are the only animals we saw on the whole trip!)







This is me. My face is red not because I was sunburned, but because if I had to go any further, I would have had a heart attack.








HELP! I've fallen, and I can't get up!









The stream near our campsite was partially frozen. I considered this to be a very bad sign (that we were going to freeze our arses off come nightfall!)










Another bad sign: one of our first tasks was to put all of our food into nylon bags, so we could suspend it from a high branch to discourage any bears that might come lumbering through...(gee, I'm going to sleep just great tonight! NOT!!!)





Hmmm, something tells me we should have tried setting this tent up at home first...

This is a $165 Coleman 2-Man Backpacking Tent. I have learned that the more compact and lightweight camping gear is, the more expensive it is!





Being the Pampered Princess that I am, I packed mascara, an eyeliner pencil and an eyebrow pencil in one of the pockets of my "Tough Girl" Cargo Pants. These items were NOT on the Official Boy Scouts of America Supply List. The Scoutmaster confiscated them on Saturday afternoon.





I MADE IT!!!




(Who says you can't go hiking in a skirt!?)






Three things I said this weekend that I NEVER thought I would ever hear myself say:

1) Gee, these antibacterial wet wipes can be used on your hands AND your face! (Sorry, Mary Kay, but I was desperate...)
2) I can tinkle in the woods without sprinkling my $95 Hiking Boots!
3) I cannot WAIT to use that Pit Toilet!





Best Part of the Whole Weekend:
My son telling me, "It's fun to go camping with you, Mom!"


(Made the whole trip worthwhile!)








Next Best Part of the Weekend:



Coming home to my Jetted Tub! AHHHH.....


No comments: